6 replies to this topic

#1 JustineG

JustineG

• Conference Planners
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

Here at Oakville Public Library we have just conducted a couple of trial runs using an iPad in our children’s preschool programs to read picture books. We connected the iPad to a projector and projected the picture book (we tested out Hugless Douglas by David Melling and Moo, Baa, La La La by Sandra Boynton) onto a large screen.

I was wondering if any libraries have similarly used an iPad or a class set of iPads in children’s programs (any age group, any type of library setting). If so, what were your successes, challenges, favorite apps, favorite stories?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Justine Gerroir

#2 ErinK

ErinK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi & fantasy fiction and film, knitting and crochet, social media and technology.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:06 PM

My branch has not tried it yet, but I did find this blog post interesting http://storytiming.c...flannel-friday/

#3 JustineG

JustineG

• Conference Planners
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Erin-that's a great blog!

#4 soconnor

soconnor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

This is something that interests me as well (see my post in June that has gotten no responses!) We only have a few ipads for a lot of libraries so it is hard to guarantee that a branch can get one when they are wanted. I know that a branch or two has also done a book in the same way you described.
But I wonder- did you have copies of Moo Baa La la la &/or Hugless Douglas to take out afterwards? And if so, did you hear back if the kids were disappointed that the print did nothing extra? One of our branches did use a ipad during the summer, I've just asked how it went.

#5 ErinWalk

ErinWalk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on this as it's something I'm very interested in trying in Bradford. I experimented by hooking up our iPad to our projector and using Mo Willem's "Don't Let the Pigeon Run This App" for a Pigeon Program over the summer. It worked out OK but I didn't like having to be tethered to the projector. I'm in the process of writing a proposal to have one of our large flatscreen TVs to moved to a program room so that I can mirror the iPad wirelessly to it via Apple TV and move around the room in storytime.

I've found a lot of inspiring examples of how the iPad's being used in storytime settings. For example,
  • Fingerplay/Song Instruction—Place written instructions with pictures on a slide so caregivers can refer back to the steps as you go, Kathy Reid-Naiman has a fingerplay app, or Baby Karaoke where animated characters do actions while the words to the song appear on screen
  • Sound Apps—e.g. AnimalChatter or AnimalSounds. Pair these apps with rhymes to create interactive guessing games
  • Draw & Tell—e.g. Doodlecast for Kids records your draw + tell story as you create it; Videos could later be posted to the library’s YouTube Account for more families to enjoy
  • Digital Felt Boards—e.g. Fun Felt by QuriosApps or Smoothie Felt Board App

#6 JustineG

JustineG

• Conference Planners
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

soconnor

Yes, in the program we ran with Moo, Baa, La La La by Sandra Boynton the board book was made available as well as other Sandra Boynton books to those in the program for check out (one Boynton book was checked out). Would be interested in hearing about how your branches found using the iPad over the summer.

ErinWalk

Yes, here at our library we have been connecting the iPad to the iPad adapter to the projector cable which has been tricky. The outcome of the iPad image on the big screen is pretty impressive and fun, but right now it is just about fine tuning it so that the storytime programmer is comfortable with the technology in front of an audience. We have developed several different ways of securing the device (mostly with elastics, keeping steady on a flat surface) but none are really conducive to moving around with the tablet in hand. The Apple TV is a great idea if you have a flat screen available to you.

#7 JustineG

JustineG

• Conference Planners
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Also, I just wanted to share this blog on early literacy in the digital age http://littleelit.com/ that has an enormous amount of helpful topics, important issues, and in-depth perspectives on the use of technology and Children's services.