• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 JennHubbs

JennHubbs

Red Maple Selection Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Reading (yeah, I know... kind of a given), photography, good food, even better wine, travel (hopefully for the good food and wine) ... wait, is this a dating profile?

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hello everyone! Welcome to the introductions page, and welcome to any new members. Returning members, I hope you like the new format - it's certainly a change from LNG, no?

Please remember that this page is a PUBLIC one - and therefore we should not be using it to discuss any of our selections for the upcoming year. A private forum will be established and only we will be able to see and use it - I'll set up posting discussions for each book in there as we need it.

Happy reading :-)

Jenn

#2 tmarano

tmarano

Red Maple Committee member

• Forest Selection - Red Maple
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Reading (surprise surprise)
    Watching Movies
    Zumba
    Being with Friends & Family
    Travelling.... FIND ME A BEACH!!!
    Cooking & Baking
    Shopping

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

Hi Jenn and Fellow Red Maple Readers,

I am happy to be a part of this selection committee once again.
Last year it was wonderful always having a pile of books to read.
I am almost all caught up on my non-red-maple reading.
Now I can read the ones that will start arriving!

I am looking forward to using this new posting system.
Looks interesting!
see you all soon

tania :rolleyes:

#3 ihobbs

ihobbs

OSLA Council

• Councillors - OSLA
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi! I guess I'm the oldie on this committee, as I've been on it since the beginning. I always enjoy reading the books, especially now that I'm in a central position in the Board. It keeps me up to date with the wonderful new titles that are coming out from our Canadian authors. Another year or so and I'll be back in a school sharing them with students again.

#4 bmcewen

bmcewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:20 PM

I must say time sure does fly - it feels like yesterday we had our final teleconference - oh how time flies! Looking forward to another year of reading and I love the new webspace for discussing! Not sad to be rid of LNG (or the webspace that shall not be named - lol).

Happy Holidays everyone (and Happy Reading!)

Beth :rolleyes:

#5 Sarah Csekey

Sarah Csekey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:23 AM

Hi everyone! I'm completely new to this and will likely require a lot of questions answered! I am a children's librarian in Gravenhurst (actually, thechildren's librarian). I have the big box of books on my desk looking me now and look forward to my Christmas holiday of reading!
Talk to you tonight,
Sarah

#6 JennHubbs

JennHubbs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Reading (yeah, I know... kind of a given), photography, good food, even better wine, travel (hopefully for the good food and wine) ... wait, is this a dating profile?

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hi everyone, and thanks for adding your profiles :-)

Our secure forum is now up and ready for use; click on "OLA Community" at the top, and you should see the proteced forums near the bottom of the lists - ours is "Red Maple" (obviously!) and then you can click on the 2011-2012 listings for each of the book areas for discussion. There is also a policy and procedures area where I've put some OLA links and info.

Talk to you tonight!

Jenn H

#7 Brenda Turl

Brenda Turl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

I hope this is where I add my profile.

This is my third or fourth or maybe fifth time reading for Red Maple.(I can't remember)

I love reading the books first before the students and most
others in the libraries.

I don't see anywhere to add any of my interests here but here they are:
reading (of course), photography, cooking, genealogy, snowshoeing and
motorcycling with my hubby. (he drives I sit behind him!!)

Oh yeah...I'm a new first-time grandma and I love it. Now I know
what other grannies have been talking about.

I can't wait to dig into the box of books and read read read!

#8 tmarano

tmarano

• Forest Selection - Red Maple
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Reading (surprise surprise)
    Watching Movies
    Zumba
    Being with Friends & Family
    Travelling.... FIND ME A BEACH!!!
    Cooking & Baking
    Shopping

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hi Jenn
I was trying to find where the spot is to post for the books?
could you tell me the pathway of links to get there.
thanks
tania :unsure:

#9 Karen

Karen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hi Jenn:
I would also like to know where to go to post my reviews>I am unsure/unclear?.... as to what to do?
Could you please direct....thatnks alot.
Karen

#10 JennHubbs

JennHubbs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hi everyone!

I hope you had a good Christmas, and that you are well prepared for the New Year :-)

If you go to the main page when you first logged into the OLA Community, you should scroll to near the bottom of the page. There is a section of postings with the heading "Forest of Reading® Selection Committees (Protected)" If you DON'T have this, please let Michelle F know (or me) ASAP and we will have you added. In there, there is a section for Red Maple, then in that is a section for 2011-2012. All the postings are in there.

Not sure if this link will work .... but let's try, shall we? http://www.accessola...hp?showforum=67

Thanks, and let me know how you make out!

Jenn

#11 Brenda Turl

Brenda Turl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Hi everyone!

I hope you had a good Christmas, and that you are well prepared for the New Year :-)

If you go to the main page when you first logged into the OLA Community, you should scroll to near the bottom of the page. There is a section of postings with the heading "Forest of Reading® Selection Committees (Protected)" If you DON'T have this, please let Michelle F know (or me) ASAP and we will have you added. In there, there is a section for Red Maple, then in that is a section for 2011-2012. All the postings are in there.

Not sure if this link will work .... but let's try, shall we? http://www.accessola...hp?showforum=67

Thanks, and let me know how you make out!

Jenn

I tried this link with no luck and am having trouble finding the area for Selection Committees. I'll keep looking but it sure seems to be well hidden!!..or else my eyes are really going bad!
Brenda

#12 Annie

Annie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

This is the best time of year to delve into a box of books. Glad to be part of this. Happy New Year and happy reading, everyone.
Annie

#13 Val Morse

Val Morse

Red Maple Selection member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

hello everyone - sorry about taking so long to introduce myself...technical glitches it seems

I read and reviewed for the Red Maple selection committee last year, after 2 years away from it...I can't remember when I started working on the selection committees but I think I've had about 10 years experience total with Silver Birch, and more recently, Red Maple.

I finished my PAID career after 20 years as a t-l, the last 5 of which were in an ethnically and economically diverse K-8 public school in Guelph.

I still do keep my finger in the pie, tho, having last year created an annotated list of picture books to be used for Character Education (which was accepted by 26 principals as a good reason to give their teacher-librarians money!), working as a volunteer consultant to revitalize the collection and programs of elementary school libraries, and coordinating the children's section of the Friends of the Guelph Public Library annual Giant Book Sale.

With Sya Van Geest, I am co-chair of the Red Maple Steering/Festival Committee.

Happy Reading! I can't wait to read your reviews, and join in the discussion of the books submitted.

Val Morse

#14 AVanLanen

AVanLanen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi everyone! I just received my box of non-fiction red maple books and can't wait to get started! I'm looking forward to chatting with you all :)I hope I put this in the right place!

Angela Van Lanen,
Teacher-Librarian
Jack Chambers Public School

#15 MichelleM

MichelleM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Hello,
I was excited but a bit overwhelmed when I opened box one...time to get reading!
Jenn, I don't seem to have access to the Selection committee reviews. Can you look into this?
Thanks,
Michelle M

#16 JennHubbs

JennHubbs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Hello,
I was excited but a bit overwhelmed when I opened box one...time to get reading!
Jenn, I don't seem to have access to the Selection committee reviews. Can you look into this?
Thanks,
Michelle M

Hi Michelle,

I don't have access to the site -best to email Meredith Tutching at OLA about this!!

Jenn

#17 Kirby

Kirby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Wordlubber. Meet me in the library.
    http://bodylit.com
    http://browsery.tumblr.com

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

Finally. I'm in.

Half-way through the first box. Liked Eric Walters and Pam Withers. Reviews to follow (once I see how to post them).

And, of course, given all the hoopla, I want to read Tilt.

Jeff

#18 micheleredmaple

micheleredmaple

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hello - I am finally in the loop.
Michele McKenzie

#19 lovetoread

lovetoread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hello everyone! My name is Pierrette and I am new to this. I have read the books and am ready to post. Wahoo!

#20 lovetoread

lovetoread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

Hello Jenn!

I can't find the link "forest of reading selection committees protected" to post my thoughts about the books. I'm new to this committee so it's possible that my name has not been added. Could you please include me so I can post? Thanks!

Pierrette Rouse

P.S. Happy day!