Photo

Ebooks

2 replies to this topic

Poll: Ereaders (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own an ereading device?

1. Amazon Kindle (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. Apple iPad (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Kobo (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

4. Sony Reader (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. Other (tell us what you use and why you like it in a comment) (1 votes [6.67%])

6. No, but I'm getting one soon (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. No, and I don't plan on getting one (1 votes [6.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 David J. Fiander

David J. Fiander

• Councillors - OLITA
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Welcome to OLITA Appetizers, a series of conversations about technologies in libraries, and a way for us to learn about these new things in a supportive environment with a series of questions and challenges for you to take on.

The first two weeks of the first two OLITA Appetizers will be made available for free on the OLITA weblog. The remaining two weeks will be available for everyone in OLA in the OLA Community Site. The first set of OLITA Appetizers are being prepared and hosted by your OLITA Council.

This thread is about the latest thing: ebooks and ereaders.

#2 Pat Gracey

Pat Gracey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:All kinds of SF: Speculative, Science, Swords and Sorcery, but most especially SCARY!!! I'm also very interested in technological trends but retain a strong skeptical streak

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Comment (other e-reader why I like)

My e-reader is the Blackberry Playbook It works for me. I really like the size compared to the overly large
iPad or the overly small iPod touch/iPhone.

I'm sure a sony would be better in therms of e-ink and more size and display options, but I've never been terribly picky.

One reason I really like the Playbook is that to Android app makes it easier to select the viable MP3 audiobooks that I can download onto either the playbook or to my blackberry rather than figuring it out through a browser. If it's not a compatible format, it doesn't display and what works on the playbook works for the blackberry. I listen to a lot of audiobooks so would rather download them onto my phone, so I check it out on the playbook and download it onto the phone.

#3 soconnor

soconnor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

I read on a first gen Sony e-reader, a ipod touch and just recently, an Android tablet. I love the touch because I always have it with me so always have a book to read. The e-reader I take with me on trips and when I want to read a ebook with DRM such as the advance galleys I get from NetGalley. The tablet is good for the picturebooks or anything with illustrations.

Reply to this topic